Saturday, August 30th, 2025
Home »General News » Pakistan » Big human smuggling scam about to explode: PPP

  • News Desk
  • Nov 30th, 2005
  • Comments Off on Big human smuggling scam about to explode: PPP
Pakistan Peoples' Party Parliamentarians on Tuesday cautioned a big scam of human smuggling was about to explode in view of large number of Pakistanis being sent abroad through illegal means.

Speaking at a news conference here at the party's media office, senator Enver Baig said that without any check whatsoever, poor Pakistanis were being sent to Gulf states, Malaysia and Europe, employing illegal means.

He alleged that certain government officials were also involved in the gory activity that was going unhindered. The senator pointed out that the worrisome situation could be gauged from the fact that from Oman alone, as many 36,000 Pakistanis were deported last year, hundreds of others from Gulf and European countries.

Some 600 Pakistanis, he revealed, were on hunger strike in Qatar for not being paid for long. Likewise, 50 Pakistanis were being deported from Italy and their families were bearing expenditures thereon.

Enver Baig said that 4,000 Pakistanis were languishing in private jails in Malaysia and 400 were in one such jail. He wanted to know what measures the government was taking to secure their release.

CLAIM DISPUTED: He disputed the Minister for Labour and Manpower Ghulam Sarwar Khan's claim that in first four months of the financial year, 0.1 million Pakistanis had been sent to Malaysia. The senator claimed that only 4,000 were sent to Malaysia that too after taking Rs 0.1 million in advance from them.

He charged that 90 percent cases of human smuggling were from Gujrat and Gujranwala. The lawmaker said 995 cases of human smuggling had been so far registered, but no one was arrested or punished for this shameful activity.

Copyright Business Recorder, 2005


the author

Top
Close
Close